- 8 cups finely chopped pickling cucumbers (about 16-20 cucumbers)
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pickling salt (or kosher salt)
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Prepare the vegetables: Wash the pickling cucumbers, remove the ends, and finely chop them. Finely chop the onion and bell peppers as well. You can use a food processor for this step if you prefer a smoother consistency.
- Combine the vegetables: Place the chopped cucumbers, onion, and bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Add salt: Sprinkle the pickling salt (or kosher salt) over the chopped vegetables. Toss everything together to coat the vegetables evenly with salt. Let it sit for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse: After 2 hours, drain the vegetables in a colander and rinse them thoroughly with cold water to remove the excess salt. Allow them to drain well.
- Prepare the pickling liquid: In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the white vinegar, granulated sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and ground turmeric. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Combine vegetables and pickling liquid: Add the drained vegetables to the pickling liquid in the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables become tender.
- Jar the relish: While the relish is still hot, transfer it to sterilized glass jars. Leave about 1/2 inch of headspace at the top of each jar.
- Seal the jars: Place the lids on the jars and screw them on hand tight.
- Place jars in water bath canner in boiling water. Wait until water boils again and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars and let the jars cool at room temperature.
- Store the relish: Once cooled, check lids are sealed and store the sweet pickle relish and enjoy.
This recipe makes 8 pints for a total of 128 servings at 1 ounce each. Nutrition facts below is based on 1 serving of 1 ounce.
- Prep Time:2 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time:40 minutes
Keywords: Sweet Pickle Relish, Condiments, Cucumber Relish, Canning Pickle Relish, Pickling Cucumbers, Pickle Relish Recipe, Classic Hot Dog Relish